"Let my servant William go and proclaim my everlasting gospel with a loud voice, and with great joy.............."
Doctrine & Covenants 124:88

Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 18, 2013


Hi Mom,

     Everything is going great. I'm still learning a lot and enjoying my time here. The days really blend together here and the time is flying. We had a sweet surprise on Tuesday. Elder Holland showed up and spoke to us. It was so awesome. We had a tip that something exciting was going to happen so we got there really early and had really good seats. His talk was so good. He also dedicated some of the new buildings which was really cool. An apostle doing a dedicatory prayer in person is pretty neat. He talked about how exciting it is to be a missionary at this time and how the Lord is really hastening his work. Elder Holland was very firm in commanding that none of us go inactive after the mission. We have to be the first convert of our missions. He was also very fired up when he said that this is Real Life. Capital R, Capital L. It drives him nuts when missionaries say 'real life' referring to life outside the mission. He also shared some scriptures about 'astonishment'. You will notice more and more this word in the scriptures. He said we need to astonish people when we teach. It will be there own personal thunder or earthquake is what he says. This happens when we teach with the power and authority of God. I just wish you could all hear his talk. It was phenomenal. It was certainly an experience I'll never forget. He is so passionate about missions and the church that you can't help but know that it's true. I love our Prophet and Apostles and know that they are called of God. That was really all that has happened that's been exciting. I ran into Johnny Russel and Kyle Shephard so it was exciting to see them. I've met some Elders from Herriman that know Alec and the Johnsons. Mc Kissick and Sanford both played basketball with Alec and said that he's just a giant stud. I got assigned to be a Zone Leader a couple weeks ago so I've been able to meet almost all the new missionaries coming in that speak Portuguese. It's been a good opportunity to serve and I've learned a lot. I love getting all your letters and hearing about everyone back home. I guess basketball season is in full swing now which is exciting. I wish I could be there to watch all my siblings play. I can only imagine how cold it must be up home, because Provo has been freezing. This is my sixth week now so I'll be getting a reassignment in about a week and a half if Visas don't come. One cool thing is I get to call home if I get a Visa or a reassignment, so I should be talking to you pretty soon! Sorry, there's not too much stuff to report today. Eu amo voces! Talk to  you soon,

Love, Elder Barker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment