"Let my servant William go and proclaim my everlasting gospel with a loud voice, and with great joy.............."
Doctrine & Covenants 124:88

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Monday, August 18, 2014


Dear family,

 Well... My week was fantastic. I believe that the Lord knows exactly what I need to pass through and experience every day. He prepares everything. It seems like there´s always something new to learn how to deal with. Just when I think I´ve got it all figured out, there´s a new challenge. I got to thinking, Is it going to be like that my whole life? And I think that it will, huh? We´re here to learn, and we wouldn´t learn much if we already knew how to handle everything. 

Everyone is getting excited about football season? I´m happy for Reece, he´s a great guy. I can´t believe he´s home already. 

So I read a talk about Remembering and Gratitude by Elder Eyring. It´s a classic apparently. I realized how blessed I really am. We often think that things are "ours" or "mine" when really we came into this world with nothing. Everything that we have comes from the Lord. We also often take for granted two of the greatest gifts, The Atonement and the gift of the Holy Ghost. 

 I´m grateful for an experience we had this last month-
So... About four weeks ago a member in our ward was robbed walking home from work. A guy on a motorcycle pulled up and ended up taking her purse. So she was very upset and crying, and a woman that lived near by helped her and took her into her house. They said that she was a very nice lady and they wanted us to pass by there. Well, that week we marked a visit with them to visit a different investigator that we had met in the street. Her name is Lucia. When we got there, they couldn´t believe that it was the same lady! So, she had clearly been prepared by the Lord to receive the gospel, missionary contact and member referral in the same week. Turns out that her husband was receiving the missionary lessons right before he died and that her son wanted to be baptized in the church many years ago, but she didn´t let him. When we taught the Plan of Salvation and about temple work it really touched her. She was very emotional, knowing that she could be forgiven of the past and return to see her husband one day. And even have his work done in the temple! Lucia accepted the invitation and was baptized on Saturday. She loves the church and is anxious to go to the temple. She is a great lady.

I love the gospel. I especially love the hope it gives us when we think there is none. And the relief that replaces regret. Families really can be together forever. The Lord lives and loves us. We are so blessed.

 I love you all,

 Elder Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment